finishes & embellishments
These are the ways we enhance the aesthetics of a label, but can also have a pragmatic purpose to improve the performance or life of the label. There are many options available to create stunning effects: special inks, varnishes, laminates, foils and embossing.
- A clear ink used for added protection or to give a higher gloss finish.
- Comes in a matt, gloss or satin (a mix of the two) finishes.
- Also Thermal Transfer Varnishes in Matt or Gloss for use with label stocks that will be overprinted through a thermal printer.
raised screen (high build) varnish:
- A special varnish that creates a textured or high-build finish to highlight specific areas on a label.
- Used extensively in wine and cosmetics or to create a high-end finish.
- Clear plastic film applied to the label surface for added protection and a high gloss finish.
- 2 types of laminate: 1) laminating film (shorco), and 2) self-adhesive clear laminate.
a) laminating film (shorco)
- Lower cost clear plastic non-adhesive film (usually 15 micron)
- Applied by glue then ‘cured’ through a UV lamp.
b) self-adhesive clear laminate
- Film that has a self-adhesive backing and applied by roller.
- A thicker finish (usually around 40 micron).
foiling (cold-foil or hot-stamping):
- Foiling or 'hot foil stamping' is the process of applying a metallic foil finish to labels.
- We utilise both hot and cold foiling techniques.
- Popular for creating highlights and premium metallic finishes.
- Available in a range of colours including gold, silver & bronze.
- Colours and holographic patterns available for specialty finishes.
- A technique for creating texture or a 3-dimensional raised finish.
- Achieved by pressing the label stock onto an embossing block or plate.
- This dimensional feel is popular with insignias, logos and text.
- Describes inks that remain stable in the outdoor elements for a period of time up to around 9 months.
- If you require a longer application period than this for outdoor then you may need to consider screen print as an option.